Rio is famous for many things; beaches (the Copacabana), songs (The Girl from Ipanema) and for even revolutionizing the bathing suit industry with the introduction of the thong bikini. Yet this summer the eyes of the world will be on Brazil for the Games of the XXXI Olympiad.
Here in Canadian Cowboy Country we’re quite interested in anything that involves horses, so here’s a primer on the equine action taking place Aug 5-21 in Cidade Maravilhosa, the Marvelous City. There are three different disciplines — dressage, jumping and eventing.
Did You Know?
- Rio 2016 is the first time that a South American country will host the Olympic Games.
- The United States, with one silver and seven bronze medals, and Canada, with one bronze medal, are the only non-European countries with Dressage medals.
- The Canadian Equestrian Team (CET) debuted at the Olympic Games in 1952 in Helsinki.
- The equestrian events are the only Olympic sport in which men and women compete on equal terms.
- The 2016 Paralympic Games will run Sept 7-18; Paraequestrian events Sept 11-16.
You can read the whole article in the August/September 2016 issue of Canadian Cowboy Country magazine. To subscribe, click here or call Kendra at 1-800-943-7336.